Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Filling In the Blanks- A Berry Rainbowcy [Gen 1 Ch. 2- Deals and Surprises]

The next few weeks of my life were almost entirely spent on the phone. Maybe it was Peppermint, who worked the night shift as well as his normal hours, so he couldn't come over for a chat, or maybe it was Goji, spilling his latest ideas for my novel. Things in my life calmed down and became peaceful and serene.
I pretty much lived on Pizza and leftovers. It didn't help my budget much....
But boy, that stuff was delicious.

With all the Pizza, I noticed my stomach getting a little rounder, so I made it a routine to go for a morning jog. I liked it, and it was wonderful inspiration for my novel and my paintings.
After my jogs, I usually went down to the park for a little sunshine and socializing. Skittles Park was always filled with interesting people to meet and talk to. I often found myself scanning the park for Peppermint, but, as he told me on the phone, he worked so much it was hard to get away on weekdays.

Of course, I didn't limit myself to talking only to Peppermint.

Rez Berry and his Wife, Pink were both aspiring Chefs who met in culinary school. I became good friends with them, and although they disapproved of my fear of cooking, they hung out with me often.
I also often ran into Goji there, staring thoughtfully at the park chess boards. Honestly, I don't think he really knows how to play chess, as when I asked to join in, he told me that chess was a one player game.

One bright, sunny Saturday morning, Peppermint called and asked me if he could come over. I, of course, replied yes. Excited, I decided to impress him with my breakfast-cooking skills. All was going well until....

"Ah, how long am I supposed to bake the waffles again?"
I ran to the cookbook that sat open on the kitchen table to find that I had foolishly snapped it shut. I leafed through the pages, looking for the recipe when I heard a wierd Whoosh! sound from behind me.


I turned and I saw my worst fear in front of me.
"FIRE!" I shrieked.
"Cream?" I heard a voice from behind me.

Thank Berry! It was Peppermint!

"The stove-it-it just-"

I didn't need to say anything more. Peppermint seemed to have brought a fire extinguisher by some miracle, and in a few seconds, the fire was out, leaving a very crispy stove behind it.

"I'm so sorry Peppermint!" I cried, "I was going to make you waffles, and then- and then..."

I trailed off when I saw he was grinning.
"Don't apologize, Cream. It's my job. Plus, I'm honored you thought to make me waffles. I love waffles."

"Really?" I asked, my voice an octave higher than usual.

"Really." He chuckled. "Cereal for breakfast then?"

I smiled. "Cereal it is."

Peppermint nodded and then his eyes focused on something above my head.

"How old is this house anyway?" He asked.

"Oh gosh, it's been in my family for generations...why?"

"The ceiling doesn't look very stable." Peppermint said thoughtfully. "You might need to do some renovations, that fire may have weakened it."

"R-renovations? I don't have the money for that." I squeaked.

"Well, I could move in and help you with the expenses?" Peppermint suggested.

"What? Really?" I asked in surprise.

"My roommate is getting married, and was going to kick me out anyway. I need somewhere to stay. It will benefit both of us."

"Wow! That's great!"

"After all, I'll get somewhere to stay, and you'll get a big strong man to protect you." He said, pulling a cheesy grin and showing me his muscles.

"Oh really? Where?" I asked, pretending to look behind him for someone else.

He and I laughed like nothing had happened, and we sat down to eat our cereal.
~

Peppermint moved in a day or two later, coming in with nothing but a few sheets, his clothes, and some belongings. I set him up in one of the empty rooms in the house and I officially gained a roommate.
I came in one day to find Peppermint reading my novel.

"Wow Cream, this is great. I love the descriptions."

"Oh, thanks." I said tiredly. It had been a long day.

Peppermint grinned. "I like this one especially."

He read,
"I stared at his beautiful cherry-red eyes and his soft, curly red hair the color of dawn over the ocean, and I knew how much I didn't want him to leave on that boat, how much I would miss him..."

Peppermint laughed, "Hey, you know who that sounds like? Me!"

My eyes widened. How does he know! he must think I'm such a stalker-freak!

"But that would be silly, a book about a guy as handsome as he seems to be, based on me-"

Thud.

"Cream? Oh Berry. She fainted."

I opened my eyes a few hours later, confused as to how I'd gotten into my bed in the first place. Had I fainted? Did Peppermint really carry me all the way back here? My cheeks flushed red. Oh how embarrassing!

I walked down the hall to turn off my computer, and as I passed Peppermint's door I heard him talking on the phone with his friend-

"Oh yeah, it's great here! .... No, I don't want to make her uncomfortable." He sighed. "I know, I know, but, she doesn't! I don't want to make a fool of myself, telling her that when she doesn't feel the same!"

Something in me melted. Maybe it was the fact I hadn't had  many friends as a child, or maybe it was because I really liked him, but I was so glad I wanted to cry.
And in fact, maybe I did.
~
Peppermint's POV

I woke up the next morning, and came downstairs to find that Cream wasn't yet awake. Great, that ruined my chance of getting this all over with. Sighing, I plopped down with a bowl of cereal, and ate thoughtfully. Self-consiousness gripped my heart when I spotted my hair reflected in the window.
Ugh. I look like a slacker. I thought. I tried to smooth my curls down, but they just sprung back up. So, I went to the bathroom and attacked my hair with a brush and straightener.
This was the result. My hair was still wavy, obviously, but I liked it. I just hope Cream will too....

"Soo..."

"Yes Peppermint?" Cream looked at me innocently with those beautiful gray eyes.

"Ugh. This is stupid." I grimanced. "Look Cream, I don't want to hold this in any longer. Cream...I really, really like you. In fact..." I paused.

Cream grinned. "No need to embarrass yourself Peppermint."

She scooted closer to me.

"I like you too."
~
Cream's POV

"Yeah! This place looks great!"

The next Friday, Peppermint and I decided to go on our first date to the Kiwi Dance Club and Restaurant. I was bubbling with excitement.

It was a great night. Even though I probably should have been embarrassed with my horrible dancing skills, Peppermint was no better.
No kiss yet, but plenty of hand holding. I remembered my grandma telling me one night after I had come home crying when my first boyfriend dumped me, "When you touch his hand and you feel electricity, you know he's the one."

His hand felt high voltage whenever I touched and I knew that he had to be the one.

Finally, finally, after dinner he kissed me in the moonlight under the fake plastic palm trees that decorated the front of the Kiwi Club.

Nothing in my life had felt so romantic.


"D-did I do alright?" Peppermint asked tentatively.

"You tell me." I grinned.



The romance didn't stop there, but I'll leave the details to you.

It was a wonderful night.
~

"Bleeeh."

"Cream, are you alright in there?" Peppermint's voice came from the kitchen.

"I-I'm fine." I wiped my mouth, not fine at all. "I'll call the doctor today...maybe he can tell me what's wrong with me."
I knew what was wrong with me. I just didn't want to admit it.

But life went on, despite my "strange" illness. Peppermint had work, and I had work. Somehow, I knew that Peppermint was probably doing much more heroic stuff than I was.
While I was typing made-up stories onto a computer, Peppermint was saving people's lives.
Honestly?
I didn't envy him.
While he saved lives, I got the news from the doctor back.
It was what I had both expected and feared.

"Peppermint?"

"We're going to be parents."

"That's great!" He said enthusiastically.

"...really?" I asked.

"Really."

He pulled me into a hug and, for a moment, all my worries disappeared. But only for a moment.

How were we going to afford a child?
~
DUN DUN DUN. >:)
Yeah, pretty much every legacy parent's worry, huh?
*dances around* I'm so excited for the next chapter where we meet little Ra- *is choked by spoiler ninjas and thrown off*
Spoiler Ninja: You. Saw. Nothing.

1 comment: